Platonic relationships are not meant to be a replacement for a romantic relationships. This is why they are called Platonic. They are meant to be a source of comfort and friendship, and they can be very beneficial for your mental health. Here’s what you need to know about this type of relationship:
Table of Contents
What are Platonic relationships?
Platonic relationships are simply friendships with no romantic interest. They can be established between two friends or between a couple who has decided to date, other people. Platonic relationships are meant to be a source of comfort, support, and friendship.
They are not meant to replace a romantic relationship or sex. The idea is that you meet someone who has similar interests, values, and goals in life as you do. You enjoy spending time with this person and see them as a friend first, but you may also see them as someone with whom you want more than friendship in the future. This is why they are called platonic – they aren’t for the purpose of having sexual feelings or acting on those feelings. This type of relationship can still be very beneficial for your mental health, though! If you’re having difficulty finding intimacy in your current relationship or have had difficulty finding true love in the past, platonic friendships could be helpful! Here’s how to get started with one:
How to start a platonic relationship
When you first start a platonic friendship, there are three important steps that you need to take. The first is making sure that your friendship is well-intentioned – if you’re going to have a platonic friendship with someone, make sure that your intentions are pure and your reasons for wanting to do so are sincere. The second step is choosing the right time – it’s important to make sure that you pick the right time and place for this type of relationship. You don’t want it to happen when either of you has just ended a romantic relationship or just started dating someone new. You also don’t want it to happen when both of you have just broken up with someone (that would be an awkward situation). Thirdly, be careful not to confuse this type of relationship with dating or having feelings for each other. It’s easy for things between two friends who like each other in the friend zone to get out of control.
If you’re interested in starting a platonic relationship with someone, it’s important to make sure that you both know that it’s not a relationship in the way you’d expect. If you don’t both know that from the start, it can be a difficult situation and one which may end badly if things go wrong.
If you’re looking for advice on how to start a platonic relationship, here are some tips to get you started:
- Have your motives for wanting this type of friendship in mind from the beginning – are they purely platonic or do they have romantic elements?
- Make sure that there is no emotional connection between you and your friend – just because he or she is someone who interests or excites you doesn’t mean that there will be feelings of any kind.
- If your friendship goes beyond being friends, discuss it with your friend before getting too involved. It’s not fair to ask him or her to go further than you’re comfortable with, and it’s even more important that he or she knows that.
How to handle a platonic relationship
If you’re having difficulties in your relationship and don’t know what to do about it, here are some ways that you could be getting in the way of your own happiness:
- You need to tell your partner about your feelings for someone else – if they don’t know about it, they can’t be hurt by them and they can’t feel rejected.
- You may also want to tell them why you have a platonic friend. Perhaps there is something about their friendship that really interests you?
- If you feel like being close but not too close, try not having regular contact with each other as this could make things awkward.
- You could just let the friendship happen naturally – as long as there are no feelings involved on either side, then there shouldn’t be any problem.
- It’s important for you to know that if you have a platonic relationship with someone, it doesn’t mean that you can’t have feelings for them.
How do I know when my platonic friend is more than a friend?
It’s important for you to know that if you have feelings for your platonic friend, then it will be difficult for them to handle. It’s not fair to yourself or your friend to keep things from them and so this may cause problems in the relationship. It may also be better if they were aware of the situation from the beginning so that they could decide whether they wanted anything further with each other.
If you want to end your friendship or avoid having any more contact, there are some things that will help:
- Tell him or her about your feelings.
- If he or she knows about them already, let him or her go on thinking that everything is fine between the two of you – but don’t feel guilty about having feelings that you can’t show.
- Don’t be secretive – if you want to end the friendship, then tell your friend and he or she will understand.
- It’s important that both of you know that this is just a friendship and not anything more.
When platonic relationships go wrong
There may be times when it’s difficult for a platonic relationship to work out, but there are some things that should be avoided:
- You shouldn’t try to change your friendship into something else – after all, it’s the relationship that is important, not the person who is in it.
- If there are feelings involved on both sides, don’t try to hide them from each other – let them come out in the open so that they can deal with them appropriately and so that they can see what they mean to each other.
- It’s important that you discuss any problems with your friend in a sensitive way because he or she may have feelings for you too.
- Try not to try to change the situation or be selfish – you need to think about the other person and his or her feelings as well as your own.
- It’s also important to remember that if you have feelings for your friend, then it’s perfectly normal.
- If a platonic friendship has ended
There may come a time when you and your platonic friend have broken up and it’s time to let go of the past. You may not want to talk about it right away, but eventually, it’s best to just get on with your life. It’s probably easier if one of you is going through something painful – this can help focus your attention on the present rather than dwelling on what happened in the past. You can get together again in the future – perhaps with another friend or even with someone else who is important in your life. If there are any feelings left over from the relationship, they are best dealt with separately so that you don’t hold on to them.